This weeks Wanderlust Wednesday features one of my favourite places on Earth: Huntington Beach in California, aka Surf City. I love it. The atmosphere, the sunsets, the pier, all of it. What I love most about it is that my boyfriend grew up there, so whilst we were doing our long distance relationship and I’d visit him, I’d stay with him in this city. The memories. Out of all the places I’ve been in California, I’d say this is my favourite.
Located about an hour away from Los Angeles in Orange County, Huntington Beach offers both an upbeat and chilled vibe, depending on where you go and what time of day it is. By day the town and beach is buzzing, especially on a Tuesday when the market visits. There are plenty of bars and restaurants, and the beach is full of people sunbathing, surfing, and playing beach ball. It is the perfect Californian picture. By evening the beach becomes emptier besides the lone surfer and the couples admiring the sunset. The sun sets beautifully behind the pier leaving behind darker pink skies and a cooler breeze. The twinkling lights from surrounding restaurants and traffic become brighter and the moonlight reflects in the waves of the ocean. I could spend the rest of my life in this place and be content. My boyfriend has now re-located to London but his family still live in Huntington Beach. I’ll hopefully be hopping on a plane to LA with him some time soon!
What I love about Huntington Beach
- The sunsets.
- The scenery; a beach that goes on forever, tall palm trees, surfers riding the big waves. It’s like a scene from a Hollywood movie.
- The many bars, restaurants and shops to choose from in downtown Huntington.
- All the memories I have there.
What to do
- Walk along the beach and the pier, admire the view and enjoy the fresh ocean breeze. When we walked along the pier we spotted sea lions!
- Dine at Ruby’s, the iconic red cafe you see at the end of the pier.
- Grab some beers and chill out on the beach.
- Play some sports – there are plenty of volley ball nets.
- Watch the sun set behind the pier.
- Go for a wander around the town and stop off for a taco or two.
- Visit downtown Huntington on a Tuesday and enjoy what the markets have to offer. There are plenty of weird and wonderful stalls, and often pens full of cute animals!
- How big the waves can get. I love the sea…from where I’m sitting comfortably on the sand. (Unfortunately I’m a very weak swimmer).
- How busy the town is on Tuesdays.
- The prices of every day items. Huntington Beach is a wealthy place!
Huntington Beach in photos
‘But nothing comes close to the Golden Coast.’