Central Park is a magical place. When I visited New York on a solo trip, I spent nearly all of my time there just wandering around, admiring the scenery and the people. It’s everything you want a city park to be; beautiful, a great place for running/cycling, lots to do and see, and offers a lovely view of the urban skyline. I fell in love with Central Park and it even made me feel like I was at home, although that’s probably down to the fact I’ve seen it in movies countless times! I can only wish this place was my everyday running route.
What I love about Central Park
- You can wander and get lost without feeling like you’re lost.
- There are so many wonderful things you can do there.
- It’s beautiful all year round.
- It is home to lots of turtles!!
- Even though it’s one of the World’s most popular and visited parks, you can still find a peaceful spot to admire the scenery/read a book away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of Manhattan.
What to do
- hire a boat and row around the 20 acre lake.
- Visit Central Park zoo.
- Walk up Belvedere Castle which offers the highest views in the park. It’s name translates to ‘beautiful view’ in Italian – definitely very fitting!
- Be a typical tourist and ride a horse and carriage around the park.
- Or take the healthier option and hire a bike to cycle around the park!
- Visit Strawberry Fields, a memorial for the famous Beatles singer, John Lennon.
- Wander around Conservatory water – a popular model boat pond.
- Stop by Cherry Hill for a picnic and enjoy the wonderful scenery (lots of cherry trees if you visit in Spring!) In this area you’ll also find the ‘fountain from the opening credit of Friends’. It’s not actually the real thing (that’s in a studio in California), but to save disappointment let’s just pretend.
- Sit by the famous Bethesda Fountain. The statue celebrates the first time fresh water was Brought to New York in 1842.
- Have lunch or dinner at the Loeb Boathouse – the restaurant overlooking the big lake. The food is ah-mazing!
- Read the quotes on the park benches – you’ll find some lovely messages.
- Skate around the famous Wollman Rink.
- Wander by Turtle Pond – yes, a huge pond full of turtles!
- How expensive the shops and restaurants are – but that’s a given when in manhattan.
- Cyclists/people on rollerblades/anything hurtling towards you on wheels!
- how tired your legs are going to get attempting to walk the entire park. I tried…and had to stop for a nap on the grass.
Central Park in photos
‘I just want to go through Central Park and watch folks passing by. Spend the whole day watching people. I miss that.’
– Barack Obama.