Tube Stop Tuesday: London Waterloo
London Waterloo station is one of the busiest places, especially at rush hour. Located in zone one of London, from Waterloo station you can hop on several tube lines and many overground trains to to the suburbs or further. For me, London Waterloo is the station I get the train to if I am having a day/evening out in the city. If I’m not in a rush I walk to places like Leicester Square, Covent Garden, and Green Park, which are about 15 minutes by foot from Waterloo. Being close to the London Eye and other attractions, it’s a great place to start if you’re spending the day exploring London.
Things to do near London Waterloo Station:
- Visit the Coca Cola London Eye. Last time I took a ride on the eye I got a two for one discount by travelling to London via SouthWestern Trains. Tickets can be purchased online or at the ticket office opposite the attraction, and at full price they are around £20.00. A typical ride on the London Eye lasts for around 20-30 minutes, and it offers fantastic views over the entire city.
- Spend the afternoon admiring the view of the London Eye and relaxing in jubilee Gardens. Many city goers and tourists gather in this grassy area to enjoy the scenery and upbeat city vibe.
- Visit any attraction of your choice from SEA LIFE London Aquarium, the London Dungeons, Shrek’s Adventure, and the Florence Nightingale Museum.
- Walk by the river and enjoy the many talented buskers.
- Enjoy a film at the BFI Imax, which has screens 20 metres high and 26 metres wide!
- Walk along the Golden Jubilee Bridges and admire the wonderful landscape view over the river.
- Between Waterloo Bridge and Blackfriars Bridge you can enjoy the vibrant Bankside which is known for it’s mix of great food, art, and culture. This is home to the Southbank Centre where you can enjoy plenty of music, art, and performances.
- Enjoy Southbank Centre’s outdoor Winter Festival during the Christmas period. Bars, food, music, and lots of twinkly lights! this place transforms into something similar during the summer period with pretty gardens full of lights and tree swings.
- Visit London Wonderground in-between Jubilee Gardens and Southbank. Dare to take a seat on the Starflyer ride and enjoy views of London at 60 metres high!
- Do an exciting speed boat tour of London! These can be a bit pricey with tickets between £25-50, but it’s definitely a unique experience.
I got pretty lucky with the stunning sunset whilst taking photos! What’s your favourite thing to do near London Waterloo?
For daily travel photos follow me on Instagram ~ @photosfromsoph